Sunday, January 25, 2009

So...how did I get roped into that again???

Emily and I sang in church today. By ourselves. Yeah, that's what I mean, sacrament meeting...with tons of people staring at you...So how did that happen again? Emily, having no fear and some musical talents has been noticed by our ward music leader. She (the ward music leader) asked her (Emily) to sing a solo in sacrament meeting. Emily jumped at the chance. I was then notified to let the ward music number know when and what she was going to sing. Uh...ok. I said. Emily's young women's leader...having already proven her talents by pulling off an awesome ward road show seemed like the perfect person to help. Sure, she said happily. Well a week later, I hear, I found the perfect song for Emily...(me) Great...and there is a great second part that you can sing. Uh...are you talking to me??? She was. And due to an irritating tendency of mine to want to conquer my fears I decided to sing along. HOWEVER, I didn't tell the ward music leader that...just in case I decided to back out at the last moment. You see, my illustrious singing in Sacrament meeting started years ago...it was not that big of a deal in primary--you sing, you don't know one knows and know one cares. But when I was a senior in high school, there 8 girls graduating my year and they wanted us to sing a song together. They put one girl in charge and she asked me...what part do you sing....uh part? Yeah do you want to sing soprano or alto...well, I had heard of parts, but I was a band geek...and played the bassoon to boot. I was not nor wanted to be acquainted with singing 'parts'. The melody, I murmured, She rolled her eyes and explained...in a not so nice way that she couldn't believe someone of my advanced years did not know which part they sang. Great I thought another thing 'miss perfect' is great at that I'm not. I'll take soprano I said. I felt this big. (look really really hard my fingers are very close together). Being somewhat convinced that I was actually tone deaf...just ask my band teacher I had the hardest time telling if I was in tune or not. I secretly vowed I would never sing again. And then I got mad. Who was she..anyway. But as I was not confident in my tonality I practiced...quietly. For many years I tried to sing the alto part on hymns at church and for many years I sang 'some' of the correct notes. No one can always be off right? Even a broken clock is right twice a day. I joined then dropped out of the ward choir, then joined again. I sat near people that did have perfect pitch. Slowly I learned 'a little'. So to make a short story long...Emily and I sang in church today. And my name was with Emily's in the program despite telling NO ONE that I was singing? HMMM... Here are a few things I learned.

1. Emily is an amazing girl. She is beautiful, talented and awesomely unafraid. I'm proud she is my daughter.

2. Prayer works! I simply prayed that even though I knew we wouldn't sing all the right notes that we could be pleased with our performance and the spirit would do the rest for the audience.
My prayers were answered.

3. One thing I didn't learn...how in the heck did the person doing the program get my name in there??????

So here's my hero daughter in her new dress. Do you know how hard it is to find a dress for an almost teenager that a) has sleeves and b) is longer than mid-thigh...just in case you don't know it is very very hard. As in as hard as walking a tight-rope across a pit of pythons, or driving down a one way street the wrong way with your lights off in an ice storm, or trying to herd cats. Ok so I got away with myself on the last one....but its pretty darn hard. :)


And here's one of us...compliments of my budding photographer Tim.

5 comments:

Sharon said...

Kathryn - you rock! I laughed so hard, Ken thought milk was going to come out my nose (okay I made that up), but still - really funny. That is exactly how I felt when I played a musical number on the piano in Sacrament Mtg a few months ago; wondering how I ever agreed to such thing when I knew how extremely nervous I get performing, and wondering how my fingers managed to play any of the right notes when they were shaking so badly. And I totally agree about the power of prayer - I know I couldn't have done it at all without it. Congrats on doing something you were uncomfortable with! And congrats to Emily too! Sharon

Marni said...

As if you weren't high enough on my "rockin' awesome friends" list, you just jumped yourself higher. I've always enjoyed singing, even made it into an "elite" singing group in junior high, but holy freaking cow, I hope I never find myself in that situation. I hope if I am ever thrown into it I will do it with as much grace and beauty that I'm sure you did.

Brenda said...

I started reading this and said to myself, "Kathryn sings?" But, how would I have known given that there hasn't been any singing at book club, ya know?

I am doubly proud and impressed. First with Emily.... how amazing.... and second, with you, my friend. Gutsy!

On a side note, I too once was asked what part I sang. I said, "I sing whatever comes out."

Kat said...

Sharon...at least it wasn't eggnog and sprite...coming out your nose. LOL

Marni...hmmm I see solos in your future....DA DA DA DA DA

Brenda, I can't beleive I never serandaded you on our midnight walks? What was I thinking. :D

Lucy said...

yes, i recently fell into this trap myself. i made the mistake of singing in relief society and before i knew it, i had the choir director and music director for sacrament meeting stalking me. i couldn't get out of my chair fast enough after the meetings before they attacked me. as such, i think i sang three different times in sacrament meeting during the month of december, not to mention at least once in relief society. and yet, i have not satisfied them. just last week i was cornered and asked to sing again in sacrament meeting with someone in march and then do a solo at a later date. the only difference is that i actually enjoy it (singing - not necessarily performing in front of crowds). as for whether or not i have any talent at it, you'll have to ask the ward members =). good for you for conquering your fears. we'll expect a short re-enactment at the next family party. emily, you look great in your new dress.