Friday, May 15, 2009

Classic Family Stories--D.C. Style

My friend Brenda challenged her readers to share the 'Classic Stories' of their families. So here's my first installment. It just so happens to correspond with a picture that Sharon included in my photo book. Now whatever you do...DON'T LAUGH... or you won't be my friend anymore.

OK...just kidding...you can laugh...and actually if you don't laugh...don't bother being my friend anymore. This picture is hilarious!

Starting left to right. My uncle Ray (Sharon's Dad). I love Ray because he has the best sense of humor. All his children (my cousins) have inherited it so seeing so many of us together means that we WERE laughing most of the time. He's a laid back kind of guy, go with the flow be there when you need him. When we had Easter Egg hunts he would give great clues like "What goes up must come down unless its on a shelf" It's a classic.

Next is my cousin Janis. Janis is cool because she shares my birthday--which by the way we got to celebrate on this trip. :) I was at the end of the cousins and she at the beginning so we don't know each other really well, but I had a total blast with her when visiting Oregon for Sharon & Ken's wedding. We really had fun at the Rose Garden.

Next in line is Joy. She is a joy...she is a hero of mine. She makes the best bread. And just makes me happy. She even laughed at the weird thoughts that Mike used to leave on her refrigerator. Notice she is standing sideways? It is a running joke that EVERY time we took a photograph she would be standing on an angle. It was hilarious. She is a fast walker...Sharon also inherited that trait from her mother. On the way to D.C. we had a stopover in Chicago. It's a big airport and we didn't have a whole lot of time to get from one side to the other. Joy and Sharon took off, I tried to keep up but couldn't and the rest of the crew took a laid back follow Ray sort of meander. I nearly got lost in the crowd, but kept an eye forward for the advance party and an eye back for the laggers. Luckily we all made it in time...but let me tell you there was STRESS involved.

Next is Phyllis. Phyllis rocks...whenever I think of her I think of old sappy movies and the line "Just think, the same moon that is shining on me is shining on Pete's tomatoes." said in a deep sighy lovesick voice.

Next is Sharon...The two of us were often called the bobbsey twins because we were always together...but this trip we really were. We had terrible allergies and everywhere we went we fell asleep due to the Actifed we were on. I'm sure there are a few too many pictures of us floating around wherein we are shown in the backseat asleep (snoring?) with our heads bobbying a way. We even started using just a half a pill to combat the bob...but alas, no luck. I'll just say it was the drugs that made us look this way...nothing to do with the awkward teenage stage.

Next...oh MY who has that TERRIBLE HAIR! (No, Joan don't feel guilty!) Joan is my sister that reads my blog but never comments...maybe I can guilt her into making a comment because it was HER hairdresser that did that to me. *Laughing* Really Joan I'm just teasing you...it wasn't bad when it was short...unfortunately that only lasted about 1 week after the hair cut. (This pictures was obviously WELL out of the 1 week range.) Thank goodness I made it passed that stage!

The last is my brother Randal, an all around good egg. We spent most of our childhood torturing each other but we get along fine now. :)

I'm thinking the photographer must have been Paul, another cousin because I know he was there and he's not pictured. He is a stand up comic, but he also does comedy when he is sitting down. He's versatile that way.

It's only a part of my awesome cousin family (My Dad only has one brother so as cousins we were close). We were visiting D.C. for the wedding of Sharon's oldest brother David. We all wanted a nice picture of us in front of the White House, but because of traffic and the obvious varied interests of the subjects...this is what we got. Isn't it priceless?

If you look really close you might see ducks in the background..no? Well maybe not, but everywhere we went we found ducks that trip. So it became the running question.

"Ducks, What are you doing here?" What you are not laughing? I guess you had to be there.

6 comments:

Brenda said...

This is GREAT! And, I do love your hair. Sweetness, girl, you had one fancy schmanzee hairstylist! I like I'd like your Uncle Ray. He sounds like a load of fun.

Emily said...

Don't be offended mom...but that doesn't look like you.
But it looks like you had a good time! Someday I want to go there too.

Sharon said...

Great "classic" story - laughed all the way through. Yes, Paul was the photographer, and was tired of waiting for traffic and the perfect shot, so just took it. My mom always claimed she was looking at oncoming traffic, but the sideways pose stil makes me giggle.

And ya know what? I still ask "Ducks, what are you doing here?" whenever I see them. But oddly, no one else seems to think it's funny :)

Marni said...

I agree with Emily. I want to zoom in to be sure.

Fun to know the story behind the picture!

Joan said...

All I can do is appologize again, and again, and again....

Kat said...

Laughing Joan...let's just call it a learning moment. And I'm totally over it...really. :) Love you!