Friday, May 1, 2009

A night out with Sierra

My middle child.

Sierra


She is sweet, quiet (not shy), thoughtful, smart, wise, friendly, dependable and sometimes lost in the shuffle. It must be hard to be the middle child--not leading the pack, and not commanding the attention of the caboose.


Tonight, Sierra and I had the grand opportunity to go on a bike ride together. We talked, laughed and shared ideas. It was thoroughly enjoyable. Some things I RE-learned about Sierra.


  • She is a leader. Not readily apparent at first glance because Sierra is quiet, but Sierra is a go to girl for her friends. She is generous with her advice, whether it be how to make friends or learning new things.
  • She is an oak tree, not a willow. Meaning--even though her peers may blow one way or the other, she stands firm on her ideas and opinions.
  • She is physically as well as mentally strong. She biked and talked nearly 4 miles with me tonight with not a touch of getting tired.
  • She is thoughtful. We discussed some things that were on her mind and I was amazed at the thought processes she used to figure out the dilemmas.
  • She is a great conversationalist. She thinks of the other person and makes interesting comments.

We do a lot of family activities together, but sometimes the one-on-one times are too far between. Thanks to Sierra I have a definite desire to make them much more frequent with each of my kids.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Sounds like an awesome evening of time well spent.

Brenda said...

WHat a fun way to discover each kid! You continue to inspire me.

Marni said...

Huh. She sounds a lot like her mother.

Anonymous said...

I have "mom dates" with my kids, and I love it!

Sierra sounds delightful. I wish she could be a friend to my daughter.