Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Science vs. Faith

There have been several letters to the editor in our local paper recently debating the long standing argument of science vs. faith. One side claims that those that believe in God are delusional, unrealistic and living in a fantasy world. The extreme on the other side discounts scientific discovery in the interest of faith. It has made me once again reflect on the battle that rages in today's society that for some reason faith and science cannot be reconciled.

To me there is no contradiction. The argument for both sides is really the same and in that it is a paradox.

Some proponents of scientific theories such as evolution claim that because of 'iron-clad' facts that have been proven through scientific methods faith in God is a crutch for weak minded individuals. I am always amazed at such arguments.

Scientists who are continually learning new things everyday, literally expanding our universe by their discoveries would have to be at the peak of arrogance to say that they understand the whole of the origin of man.

Looking through history it was not long ago that we did not know about atoms, then that there were smaller parts that made up atoms, then that there are subatomic particles. To think that we have 'reached' the pinnacle of scientific knowledge is folly at best.

I frankly don't understand why a person that can be so 'open minded' when it comes to the scientific method can be so small minded when thinking about what the big picture might contain. Any scientist worth his salt is continually looking for new breakthroughs, new ideas, new theories to explain the phenomenon of every facet of our lives.

I recently read a book about a scientist that did in fact embrace both views of science and faith. Mormon Scientist, The Life and Faith of Henry Eyring. Henry developed the Absolute Rate Theory (ART) that is a standard in current day quantum physics. I couldn't explain what it means in layman's terms, but it was a significant scientific break through, and he was nominated multiple times for the Nobel Prize in Science. He worked with scientific greats like Einstein and wrote an astounding number of scientific papers. He had a brilliant mind, loved everything science related but also had an unwavering faith in God, the Eternal Father and in his son Jesus Christ.

He had many contemporaries that did not understand how he could do both. They felt that he must compartmentalize his beliefs and didn't let them meet. He however, did not see that there was a problem. His method of discovery was to search for truth wherever it may be even if it seemed contradictory. When faced with such paradoxes he said, "Yes, these two facts seem contradictory. Let's assume that they are both true and see if we can find the missing pieces that reconcile them." Interestingly he regularly applied this method to scientific problems that seemed to not fit and often did find the missing piece.

His thoughts on truth reminded me of a recent talk by Dallin H. Oaks. He made the point that different types of knowledge are verifiable in different ways. For example you can scientifically know that the weather outside is hot or cold by looking at a thermometer. That is scientifically verifiable information. Just as important you can know that your parents, or kids or your spouse love you (or not I guess). Though it is not verifiable by a scientific method, it is still very important knowledge. Dallin H. Oaks said, "When we know spiritual truths by spiritual means, we can be just as sure of that knowledge as scholars and scientists are of the different kinds of knowledge they have acquired by different methods."

I can honestly say that I know God created this world. I know that he provided a plan through his son Jesus Christ for his children to return to him. And while I know not all people agree with me, and I respect their views and defend their right to hold those views, nothing could disabuse me of this knowledge. Neither could you convince me that it must not be cold to get snow. I believe that in the end the paradox of science vs faith will be no contradiction at all. In the end all those missing pieces will fit into the grand puzzle and truth in whatever form it is found will be whole.

4 comments:

Brenda said...

I've always felt the same way, that eventually it will all fit together nicely and we'll have a logical explanation for everything.

Sharon said...

I wish I could write (and think, for that matter) like you do, but since I don't, I'll just say "amen", and well done :)

Marni said...

I have a hard time swaying too far one way or the other, mainly because I feel I know so little about it all, but I like the point made that why does one side or the other have to be all wrong, look at both as truths and find the connection. Yep, I'll have to read that one.

Christine said...

I have a 13 year old son who is very scientific. He believes in evolution and believes in the church, he reads Scientific American for fun and asks for subscriptions to the National Geographic for Christmas. I worry about him as he grows, will he be pressured to side with one side of the debate or the other? Can he stand firmly in his own skin down the path he chooses to follow? I know his goals will place him in the ring with people who feel strongly towards being a figment of our imagination. He make documentaries on science in his free time. I worry about him just not the same worries many mom's have.