We set up a potion station...and it was a sensation. I can't claim credit for this fun idea. I just followed the lead of these cute girls over at Three Girl Pile-Up.

The set up included mixing bottles, water, vinegar, baking powder, baking soda, orange jello, lime jello, flower petals & sunflower seeds. (Next time I'm going to try cabbage water and get some cool syringes to work with.)

The kids had no idea what the powders and liquids were, so they were thrilled when colors started appearing. (Aren't all those red heads cute? We have a plethora in the neighborhood.)

And down right shocked when it started bubbling.


Potion making is serious stuff...

Definitely a do-over!

9 comments:
First, picture me genuflect on the ground. I'm not worthy!!!
Second, we totally have to do this, like tomorrow if I wasn't going to be gone for a bunch of the day. So you just set out a bunch of here's and there's and let them mix away to their little hearts' content?
This would seriously help me keep my coolest mom in the neighborhood status...
Third (and unrelated), the kids and I went to this rockin' park today. THE COOLEST slide ever - rollers, not just a lame-o slide. I even had to try it out a few times. I told the kids we need to go there with you guys sometime and see how it fits on your scientific rating system.
Oooh awesome park...where is it? Or are you holding that info hostage until we go with you. UNCLE...UNCLE We'll come.
Oh this sounds like so much fun.
I love all the red hair!
Fun times!
I've been thinking about potion all morning.Tell us what worked well together and what didn't. And, would you recommend doing this with upwards of 12 kids?
All the items were fun in some sort of way. If you are doing it with a lot of kids, I would just make sure you have plenty quantity wise of all the ingredients. Obviously the bubbling reaction is a hit so visit Sam's to buy your vinegar and baking soda. Baking powder doesn't give you as big a bang as soda does. I would also advise against using any items you can't just wash away with your garden hose. :) The colors are very cool and I would consider getting several different jello colors. They are cool because they come white and you can't tell which color they are going to become unless you look really close. I used an off brand and a regular jello and they were the same. Did you follow the link I put in there? They used Cabbage water and it turned colors depending on the other stuff they put in. That would be very cool. I'd like to try that next time...didn't have any cabbage this time.
You guys are having TOO much fun - I wanna play too. And I agree with Marni - I'm not worthy. I want to be a cool mom too someday :)
Oh my goodness guys. I COPIED the idea from another cool mom. You are making me blush and that's uncomfortable!
Kat: You are such a cool mom. Notice that we copy YOU! And, yes, I did follow the link. Heavens, you know that I don't have any cabbage at my house, so I'll have to go get some. Sounds so fun.
Post a Comment