Saturday, January 30, 2010

Split Personality

I have two personalities. There is Regular Me and Coupon Me. Regular me is kind (mostly), patient(frequently), easy going (often), and thrifty (occasionally). Then there is coupon me. Coupon me is anxious (always), demanding(often), unforgiving (A LOT) and stressful (Always). When I go to a store coupon me is HAPPY when I A. Make A List and B. Bring my coupons. Coupon Me, gets very irritated and indeed has been known to yell at Regular Me, when I make a 'non-coupon' trip to the store then find a couponed item that is either A. on sale or B. not on sale. If the item is on sale Coupon Me berates Regular Me for not bringing the coupons with so I could get the extra super duper deal that Coupon Me thrives on. If the item is not on sale, Coupon Me berates Regular Me for not bringing coupons so 'at least I wouldn't have to pay full price.'

Coupon Me is extremely happy when A. I go coupon shopping and B. The store actually has the advertised items in stock and C. when I get FREE stuff. In fact, Coupon Me likes option C SOOO much that she has (on occasion) bought something like yucky Cheez-It crackers just because they were free. Regular Me HATES Cheez-It crackers and would never purchase them in her right mind. Regular Me's children also hate Cheez-It crackers. Which brings me to my next point.

Does anyone want some Cheez-It Crackers?

Regular Me would like to kick Coupon Me to the curb except for Coupon Me HAS managed to amass a semblance of food storage including a full year's supply of Italian dressing. Coupon Me has also managed to save SOME money. Regular Me has the quandary of whether or not to resubscribe to the local newspapers (times 4). If Regular Me orders the papers, then 1. Her children will continue to be happy that they all get their very own copy of the Sunday comics, but 2. Will also hand total control of the shopping mojo over to Coupon Me for the next six months.

Please Advise.

3 comments:

gina said...

The coupon me- hates when hubby surprises me by doing the shopping- I get sick inside unpacking all of the items that I had coupons for. But I try not to buy it if we don't need it - unless it is something we go through regularly, otherwise it's not a deal, it's you spending money that you didn't have to which is NOT frugal at all.


And since we have a 3lb. box that my husband just bought at Sam's club last week, no , we don't need/want any cheez-its, but thanks for asking. :)

Artist said...

Everybody has these two sides inside. It's like an eternal internal fight.

Sharon said...

I can feel your dilemma. I used to be a big coupon shopper, but that pretty much went away when I moved from Oregon and no longer had access to a free newspaper. Now I sometimes think I should be subscribing to a newspaper(s) so that I can get those coupons, but then I think I'd probably be spending more for the newspaper than I would save with the coupons. And besides, most of the stuff that they have coupons for, we don't eat . . . and I never see coupons for things like Swiss Chard.

Oh, and I hate Cheez-Its too - so please don't send them my way ;)