Yesterday, it snowed...like it has just about every day since it became Spring. Yes the weather got stuck in some unnatural time machine and threw us back to January 10th at the season change. And, when it snows...my driveway which faces north and sits at a 38 degree angle (give or take a few degrees--see the not-so-steep bottom of the driveway here bottom picture on the right)gets snowy...and it doesn't melt. And when it snows and thaws for a couple of days in a row it gets icy and slippery and in short treacherous.
I had taken the big kids to school and had parked my van at the top of the hill, parking brake intact as always. Ethan was shoeless so I carried him in the house while Savanna negotiated getting out the driver's side passenger door. She was just climbing over the last hurdle to get out of the door as I dropped Ethan off inside. To my horror the car suddenly slid down the driveway. Somehow, miraculously, it stopped at the sidewalk rather than rushing across the street to the neighbors. I screamed, Savanna froze. As it stopped she climbed out with a scared look on her face. I made sure she was alright then we re-parked the car and went inside.
That's when it hit me. Savanna was probably 15 seconds and maybe a foot away from climbing out of the car. Had she been doing that when the car slid she undoubtedly would have been slung under the car where she would have either been seriously injured or even killed. Additionally, the car should not have stopped where it did. The front half of the car was still at a serious angle and despite having the parking brake on it was not a natural way to stop.
I started to shake, then cry, then dry heave. I was inches away from losing my baby, my girl, my sweetheart. I literally shook and cried for more than half an hour. It was a involuntary, yet natural physical reaction to the situation. I have never before experienced quite that feeling. You always have the thought that 'things like that' don't happen to me. But they could.
Apparently it was time for another reminder, a wake up call, a scary nudge from beyond...remember the things that are important. Don't let them pass you by.

If the question is...Do angels exist?
My unequivocal answer is...Yes!

4 comments:
Holy cow. I read this post nearly freaking out myself. I am soooooooo glad that she is okay and that she was inside and not outside the car. Maybe Savanna's grandma helped her out today.
Wow Kat! What a very scary moment. I am so glad all your angels are looking out for you. I believe they exist too and I have felt their help.
Good one, thanks for the reminder!
Oh my goodness - what a scary experience! SO GLAD everything turned out good. Thank goodness for angels.
Post a Comment