Sunday, June 21, 2009

My 3 Dads...

For a Father's Day 'treat' Mike, Emily & I were asked to talk in church on Father's Day. Oh so much fun now that it is over. I thought I'd just post a bit about 3 fathers in my life.

First my Dad. I had a post all about him not to long ago you can see here.

My Dad was a single father from the time I was 8 years old. He not only had to provide physically for our family he also was the primary emotional and spiritual provider as well. I remember my Dad attending parent teacher conferences, band concerts and competitions, helping with homework, creating scripture reading charts, providing piano lessons, and in every way trying to support me and help me grow. I know it was tiring—working two jobs, the cooking, the cleaning and all the little details and chores. I can't really imagine how he did it running his own business while working another job and raising kids. I have a tough time and I'm not on my own. It was evident that it wasn't always easy...my Dad would often fall asleep if I asked him too many Algebra questions. But I knew he cared, I knew he loved me. I remember once as a teenager, all my friends had specific curfews and many specific rules to follow. I had a general curfew and some general understood rules to follow. I asked him once, how come I didn’t have a curfew? Don’t you love me? His response was…do you need a curfew? I had to think that one over. Perhaps I did, I’m not sure, but the message he was giving me was, yes I love you and I trust you. What a powerful message to send to a daughter. A daughter that was still finding her own way. A daughter, that knew she wanted to do everything she could to prove her father right…that I didn’t need a curfew, that I could be trusted. My Dad taught me that I could reach for the stars, but that the most important things were not necessarily that far off. They were family, the gospel of Jesus Christ and the opportunity to spend eternity together.


My Husband, the father of my kids.

Another good example of a Dad is Mike. He was out of regular work for over 3 years. During that time he worked hard to provide the necessities for our family. It was a struggle and a time of frustration. But it seemed whenever I was down and wondering how we would pull through, he not only found away to make it work, he found a way to strengthen me too. I remember finding out that we were to be blessed with our youngest child, Ethan, at a time when we were at the very lowest point. There was literally no money left and nowhere to turn. No insurance, no job and while there was a prospect, not much chance of anything happening soon. As I was crying, trying to figure out how we were going to make it he simply said, It will be OK. We will be taken care of. While those were simple words they were full of power. I learned once again that while he was the provider for our family, that he knew he had a partner in our Heavenly Father to help him along. At that moment, he helped provide the faith I needed to make it through.


My Father-in-law.

Mike's Dad is a good man. He has worked hard all his life to provide for his family and in more recent years he was called on to be the care-giver. Mike's Mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's at a very early age and her decline was steady and rapid. Mike's Dad stood by her through thick and thin, through all the heartbreaks. At one point in time she was confused about who even he was. She said, "I don't know who you are, but thanks for taking care of me" What a testament to true Charity--the true love of Christ. He would say that he can't think of doing any different and while that may be true, it is still an example that I and I hope my kids will follow.




In that light...


Happy Father's Day

2 comments:

Sharon said...

You're dad IS amazing. I'm so grateful for his example and that I know him personally. Mike IS amazing too - what a great eternal partner you have. And even though I don't know Mike's Dad, I think he must be amazing too - that's a tough job being a care giver.

Mike Clark said...

It was a great talk. Like someone in church told me, it "got my spiritual allergies to act up".