Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Who knew...

Add this to the list of things I learned today. Well it was a slow day. So this is what I learned.

Water + Bleach = Magnificent Cleaning Potential
Who knew? I have used MANY a commercial cleaning agent to try and remove the grime that finds its way on to my kitchen surfaces (walls, refrigerator, cabinets you get the idea) to little effect. I decide to paint, hit HGTV's website for ideas, follow their well placed advice to use bleach and water to clean the walls and WAL-LA clean walls. I know I must be totally backwards or something for not knowing this before. Please forgive me for being a friend/sister/daughter/mother that is so challenged when it comes to cleaning techniques.
Coming soon...before & after pics...well at least before. I will only post after if I actually get to the after and come to think of it, I'll only post before if I actually get to tomorrow.

5 comments:

Marni said...

I'm a loser too I guess. We really need to do some painting around here.

Did I forward you a "blame the kids" youtube video recently? I guess it's a British series going in and cleaning people's homes. I haven't watched any other episodes, but I love that there is no product placement, just good sound cleaning tips. There is one with borax I want to try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq979uOFNAI

Brenda said...

Does this solution leave the paint on the walls, or does it strip it off?

Anonymous said...

I LOVE to clean with bleach. Sadly, just yesterday, I got bleach on a new shirt. DARN!! But, I won't give up my bleach.

Kat said...

Marni- thanks for the link I'll check it out.

Brenda- I have not tried it on paint I cared about, but it did not appear to remove any from the paint I did not care about. Try it on a small spot first.

Jana- Do you use just regular bleach or scented? That seemed to be the one draw back bleachy smelly hands for a LONG time after. Maybe I'll use gloves next time...though i hate gloves.

Anonymous said...

My favorite bleach product is Arm & Hammer Scrub Free with Bleach. I use it in my bathrooms. LOVE IT! I like regular bleach instead of scented. I don't wear gloves and I should too. I don't like the smell of bleachy hands, but love the smell of bleachy house!